This tutorial is for developers located outside China, using hosting outside China
If you are located in China and using hosting inside China, see the [CN] Starter Template quick-start tutorial.
Starter Template quick-start: 4 - Play the game
To get playing, you use the SpatialOS Launcher to share the game clients with users via a dedicated URL.
The Launcher is a distribution tool which downloads and starts game clients for a cloud deployment. You installed the Launcher when you installed SpatialOS on your machine. You access the Launcher from the Console; use it to create a URL to give end-users access to a game client for your game. Find out more in the glossary.
TIP: Play the game from the Unreal Editor
- Open the SpatialOS Console at console.improbable.io to see a list of your SpatialOS cloud projects.
- Select your SpatialOS cloud project name to see a list of deployments associated with that cloud project. (In this example, the cloud project name is
The list looks something like this:
Image: The Console's cloud project deployment list
- Select your deployment name to see the deployment's overview screen. (In this example, the deployment name is
The overview screen looks something like this.
Image: The Console's deployment overview screen
- Use the Launcher to get a game client.
To do this:
a. In the deployment overview screen, select the blue Launch button.
This displays the Launch a Client dialog box.
b. Select Launch.
Image: The Launch a Client dialog box
- Once the game client has launched, you enter the game and see your character.
Image: The Starter Template player view screen
To share your cloud deployment:
- In the Console, go to the deployment overview screen.
- Select the white Share button to open the Share Application dialog box. Accept the terms.
Image: The terms in the Share Application dialog box
- You can now see a URL; this contains a token to download a game client. You can share this with game testers so they can try out your game.
Image: The Share Token URL in the Share Application dialog box
You've successfully set up and played the Starter Template. You are now ready to start developing your own games with SpatialOS.
- Follow the Offloading tutorial: in this you set up the Starter Template to run in multiple server-worker instances.
- If you have an existing Unreal multiplayer project, you can follow the detailed porting guide to get it onto the GDK.
- To set up your project for mobile game-client development, see the documentation on mobile set up Android or iOS.
2020-06-26 Page updated with editorial review: added MacOS, mobile, UI and deployment workflow changes.
2019-08-14 Page updated with editorial review: new Console screens.
2019-07-16 Page updated with editorial review.
Updated about a year ago