The SpatialOS Game Development Kit (GDK) for Unreal is an Unreal Engine fork and plugin with associated projects. It provides features of SpatialOS multiserver load balancing, within the familiar workflows and APIs of Unreal.
- Single and multiserver development: Use one instance of server software or multiple instances of server software to compute your game world. Multiple servers enable a greater number of Actors, players and gameplay systems in your game.
- Global hosting: Scalable dedicated hosting for your game in every major gaming region, including China. (Note that instructions for China apply to mainland China only.)
- Easy playtesting: Deploy and test your game from the start of development, and distribute it to your team and players quickly and easily with a ready-made link. Scale-test your build by connecting simulated players.
- Profiling and debugging tools: Logs and metrics out of the box to help you quickly understand any bugs and performance issues.
Multiserver load balancing is available through either:
- Offloading: Offloading distributes computational load between multiple servers. These servers each compute a discrete set of Actor types.
- Zoning (in preview): Zoning divides the game world into multiple areas based on a grid, so one server computes one area.
For more information on multiserver zoning availability, see the development roadmap on GitHub.
The Get started guide takes you through setting up the Unreal fork and plugin and also explains how to set up:
- A Starter Template project that you can use as a basis for your own projects.
- The Example Project running in the cloud, as well as running locally on your computer. The Example Project gives an overview of the GDK and using SpatialOS, and is the basis of our tutorials.
Want to learn more about how the GDK works and how it fits into your game stack?
See the Technical overview.
Unfamiliar with SpatialOS? Need to find out about the concepts behind it?
See the SpatialOS concept docs.
2020-06-08 Page updated with editorial review: updated multiserverload balancing description
2020-06-08 Page updated with editorial review: added maturity stages for multiserver
2020-02-25 Page updated with editorial review: added China region hosting
Updated 2 days ago